American Red Cross Junior Lifeguarding
The American Red Cross Jr Lifeguarding Program is designed to guide youth ages 11-14 to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course. The course focuses on building a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills of future lifeguards. 10 week program and is approximately 30 hours in length. Each lesson includes dry land and in-water activities with the exception of the lesson focused on first aid.
Junior Lifeguarding course will introduce participants to:
- Communication, teamwork and decision-making skills.
- The basic knowledge and skills required to participate in the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course when they are 15 years of age or older.
COURSE PREREQUISITES Before entering Junior Lifeguarding, participants must demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or
- Swim the breaststroke for 25 yards using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- Complete the water competency sequence without stopping.
- Step into water from the side and totally submerge.
- Maintain position for one minute by treading water or floating (or a
combination of the two).
- Rotate one full turn and orient to the exit.
- Level off and swim on the front or back 25 yards.
- Exit without using a ladder or steps.
Dates: Friday 4:30-6:30pm & Sunday 12-2:00pm, March 5-May 14
Dates: Mondays/Wednesday 3:30-5:00pm, March 6-May 24