Schererville YMCA Updates
Schererville YMCA Dates & FAQs
October 13, 2022
FACILITY PROGRESS & QUICK CLOSURE
As we continue to work on the expanded cardio space conversion, Schererville Y will be open 4-10:00am on Friday, October 21. Concrete will be poured and require closure of our spaces. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to improve Schererville Family YMCA. We will open at 5:00am on Saturday, October 22.
September 9, 2022
Dear Schererville Family YMCA Members,
We are excited to announce Phase II of our masterplan for the Schererville Family YMCA. It has been over eight months since we opened the Y here and have seen tremendous growth during this time. In this next phase we are working to enhance numerous areas to create additional opportunities for kids, families, and adults.
Here are the plans:
- Increased fitness and wellness space by expanding the second-floor mezzanine to include a dedicated cardio area. This will allow us also to expand wellness space to include a lighter dumbbell area, functional training space, and additional turf space for personal/group training classes. This will reduce our use of classes held on the current turf area, thus freeing more space up for members.
- Additional group fitness space Currently we have a high demand for additional group fitness classes and will create three additional studios on the 2nd floor (includes repurposing the 2nd floor Men’s Locker Room). With these changes, we can add additional offerings to current classes and ADD new classes to include boxing and small group training classes.
- Convert current boxing studio to create a mini basketball area for younger children and families. The boxing studio will be moved upstairs.
- Expand our current Kid Zone area to provide additional capacity and better experiences for our youngest members.
- Add youth program studios to increase programs for children.
- We will add additional lockers to the Adult Male 1st floor Locker Room to accommodate usage.
- We will add day lockers to the 2nd floor hallway and fitness center for additional options to safely secure your belongings while you're at the Y.
- We will renovate the current Auxiliary Locker Rooms to help with additional locker room options.
- We will begin Monday, September 19 and anticipate completion on January 6, 2023.
All this is one part of what we believe will be a four-phase plan to completely transform the Schererville Family YMCA. After this stage of renovation, we will work to develop our final phases. We anticipate the next phase(s) to include all new male and female locker rooms and expanded basketball/volleyball/pickleball courts. We expect aquatics to get many changes including a new zero depth family pool, new lap pool, new whirlpool, sauna and steam rooms. For land fitness, we plan new fitness and wellness space, and a new track.
We appreciate your patience during this renovation and are excited for future as we work toward our final plan of our Destination Schererville Family YMCA. Watch here for any updates as we move through the process.